Friday, March 30, 2012

Pets and Individuals with Difabilities

There are many things that happen when you start dealing with ongoing symptoms of your Cerebral Palsy. Some of them are good, if you have a team to work with. Some of them aren't so good.

One thing that does happen is giving up pets. My hedgehog Sonadow was adopted today by a very loving couple. That was very hard for me. But I had to get him to a family that could physically keep up with him and his cage.

It's hard, when you have to lose a pet, and no one knows that better than I do. I've lost countless pets to death, or having to give them up to move. This has recently prompted me to start looking into ways to take care of Murphy when it comes time to move to Florida.

Research has given rise to what Murphy really is for me. He is an Emotional Support Animal. ESAs are animals that add stress relief, activity (such as cleaning of litter box and making sure food and water are given), and to ease lonliness. Murphy does all of these things, and one thing more. Being unable to have children, he is as close to a child as I'm going to get.

Now I have to get my doctor to write a letter, stating that Murphy is an ESA, and must be allowed to inhabit a no pet zone. Keep in mind that not all cats can be registered as such. In other words, you can't just say, "Oh, I need him with me, because he keeps me comapny". In Murphy's case, I have noticed that I tend to scratch and pick less when he's around. This one cat has done more for me than I think any psychiatrist has done.

I never thought that of him, really, until I started thinking about it. And I love him so much. He's a good cat and best friend, and there are not enough words to describe how he has helped me deal with everything in my life both past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment