Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Places to Go, People to See: My Support Teaam

As anyone who has multiple conditons knows, your condition can only get better if you have the right people working with you. I have found my support team, and they are helping to pave my way to independence once more.

The team starts at home. At home, I have my brother, my stepfather, and my mom. I call my stepfather Daddy, so that is who I mean when I sad Daddy (Just saying that now)

Mom has been a part of my support team since my birth. She is the taxi, the person I go to when I need to cry, and the reason I keep trying. This woman is nothing short of an angel sent from God. There are some days I think I would have given up at this point if she didn't exist.

If Mom is my angel, Daddy is hers. I met Daddy back when the Lord of the Rings films were being made. Both of us were a part of a club called The District of Dark Whispers which was based in DC. We hit off pretty well, and we became best friends.

Eventually, I introduced him to my mother. It wasn't love at first sight, trust me. Mom believed that Cal (as that is his real name) was spoiling me. Cal thought mom was a bit of a female dog, for a nicer term. However, that woul soon change.

One day, Mom finally had a day off w ork from Hollywood Video, and was a ble to go out with us. Cal took us to Arundel Mills mall. Before I knew it, the two of them were sennding me off to FYE,and sharing stories at Chevy's.

A year later (almost to the date), Mom and Cal were married, and my youngest brother and I were moved to Baltimore, Maryland. Since then, he has been the best thing to come into our lives. He offers support to Mom, and he's still great at motivating me. He is the reason push myself to go out more often.

Daniel is now 17, but before he was old enough to completely get it, he was helping me. Being the youngest, he missed a lot of the things I went through in my early life, but he knows enough to know that I don't play around when it comes to my disability. My brother and I share a connection that I will never really understand. Do we fight? Yes. But as he's getting older, that's less and less of an occurence.

He helps me when I'm having a terrible day of pain, and he's there when I'm stressed, on most days. I consider it family karma, since I took care of him as a baby. I'm not sure how he feels about me, but I know that I love him with all my heart, and I want him to know that I will never ever forget what he's done for me.

Family is a great start to a support team. They are the ones who wil more than likely take care of you when you're going through tough times. But they are not a substitute for doctors. Tomorrow, I will talk about the team I have emassed in just a few short months. See you then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment