Monday, March 26, 2012

Creating a Pool of Resources

I'm not going to lie to you guys. I'm new to the advocacy thing. But one thing I am learning about self-advocacy is that it takes time, and patience to get the right people that can help you. You also need to understand how to talk to people. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You can't learn anything unless you ask.

In my time of researching specific agencies that deal with individuals with special needs, I have found that there are not many that deal with Cerebral Palsy specifically. Many deal with it a s if it's an umbrella term. And honestly, it probably is. For me, though, I have always just known I have CP, and not any specific type until recently.

Just like with anything you may be interested in, it is a good idea to network. Networking can happen at any time, and anywhere. Many people think networking an only happen on the Internet. Truthfully, it happens much better when you go out.

When you're out at your doctor's appointments, or visiting a favorite store, or where ever you might be going, ask questions. Find out where people have gotten that adaptive device, or how they're getting to their appointments. Knowledge is your friend, and when you're going through changes in your body, or have a child who is going through it, you want to know that others are there that can help you through it. You can never have enough resources. Ever.

In the next couple of weeks, I will be posting links to some of the Advocacy sites I have come across and contact information for those agencies. I hope to also connect with other bloggers on this topic, and pool our resources. Feel free to post your links here, and I will add them to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment