Thursday, March 15, 2012

Introduction Part 2

From the time I was able to walk, Mom knew that something wasn't right. Even though I was walking, my legs were knocking together, in other words, my legs were turning inward. This caused me to be unstable in my movement.

Mom enrolled me into early preschool at Brockman Elementary School for the Disabled. That is where I began to develop my early social life, along with confidence in walking. I met teachers and Physical Therapists that would follow me for the remainder of my elementary school career.

Two of the most important people in my therapy were Ms. Susan and Ms. Barbara Wahl. The two of them were instrumental in my early muscular development. Brockman was also where I learned how to read a little bit.

Brockman provided Mom a support group, too. She became and advocate for disabled families on Fort Jackson, which didn't have a program like that. With help from Brockman, Mom founded a program called ACS with Mrs. Cheryl Jackson. She also founded the first Girl Scout troop for disabled girls. It was a lot of fun. The crafts we did were designed to help us with our various degrees of occupational therapy.

I stayed with Brockman until I was four. I was transferred to another type of school. This school was known as Easter Seals. What Mom and I didn't know was that this is where my true independence would begin.

And here, I will stop with the history. From here on, I will be sharing my current experiences. I hope you will continue to join me for this journey.

2 comments:

  1. I went to a special disabled Elementary school for a bit. Reading was fine for me, but speech was tough. I still get words confused often when speaking.

    You've inspired me once again, though. You're such a wonderful person and so intelligent. It's amazing how you cope today. You inspire me time and time again, it never ceases.

    Thanks for sharing more of your history! I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave Heather! Keep telling about your experiences. There are lots of people out there who will be inspired and cheered by you. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete