Thursday, April 5, 2012

Another Small Acheivement!

Today, I did something I thought would be impossible for me without one of those Renew bands that are selling all over the place. I balanced on a wobbling board. That's right. I actually kept my balance for 42 seconds on a surface that tilted.

Still can't do one foot, or walk backwards without feeling awkward. But let's not focus on that! Today has inspired me to inspire you. When you're going through physical therapy, it's unrealistic to believe you will magically wake up and be able to do everything you used to do the same way you used to do it. It sometimes takes time, or adaptations before you can get your independence back.

Each of us dealing with our difabilities have to remember that they come with different challenges. Learning how to get past your individual challenges is what's important. Never ever consider the fact that someone else is progressing through therapy faster than you. Sometimes, that's how it is. We all have to adopt different behaviors to fix what's not right for us.

I don't want to say "normal". Normal is also a word that is thrown around far to often. We're normal. We're a different normal. What's normal for us may seem strange to others, and vice versa.

Okay, now that I've digressed far enough let me get back to my point. My point is that every small acheivement is only a building block of your whole overall goal. That doesn't mean you shouldn't celebrate it, though! When you reach a goal such as being able to balance or figure out how best to manuver with a cane on your own, find a small way to reward that. Although, for me? Being able to balance was good enough of a reward,

No comments:

Post a Comment