Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Transportation Part 2

So I got  a bit on my high horse about businesses and persons with disabilities who are traveling by transit last time. Today, I need to talk about something else that's even more close to home. My own personal transportation struggles. I touched on public transportation issues. Now I want to talk about my own options.

As mentioned before I was a part of the Mobility program that my state provides. They've been more unreliable than the buses around here since I started. So I haven't been using them. I've been relying on my mother and really, I don't mind. I give her rent, take her to lunch, and a whole bunch of little things to show her how much I appreciate her taking the time to drive me around.

Transportation is the main issue when it comes to my social life too. Let me explain. My social life used to be going down to the Avenue, and being the catalyst for a writing group born out of NaNoWriMo, which I have participated in for years. Every Tuesday we'd meet up, and write and socialize. But I had made friends and contacts beyond my main group. I had become a regular at Barnes and Noble, and I got a lot of special treatment for it. Now, that's not what kept going back. I genuinely enjoyed it.

But when the writing group fell apart last year, things got bad. I would still go, but I was alone, and that defeating the purpose, and my budget, in the process. I also had to depend on friends to bring me home when  mom could not because of work or her commitment to Cal, my stepfather.  In my heart, I believe that is a lot of the reason I can't get any rides anywhere, or set things up with people. The world is a different place. People have their lives, and as much as most won't admit it, we have all become a bit more selfish with our time and needs.

This makes socializing outside the computer a bit harder than anyone realizes. Everyone assumes I enjoy the time on the computer, and really, to a point, I don't make a case to contrary. But I would love to live in a world where offering gas money for transportation is enough. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and my social life is right here, online, with my friends, readers, and CityVille.

Now, I'm not saying that things are bad online. I love the Internet, I love chatting online. I just wish transportation would stop interfering with me getting into more outside social events.

No comments:

Post a Comment